Holding Hands

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Overview

A K-1 visa, or a US fiancé(e) visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to an alien who wishes to enter the U.S. for the purpose of marriage to a U.S. citizen. The “K” visa category for fiancés of U.S. citizens and their accompanying minor children (K-2 visa) was created to speed up the immigration process of bringing a fiancé(e) to the United States for marriage. This K visa spares fiancés a long separation from their intended spouse, while continuing their processing for permanent resident status, or immigrant status, after the marriage takes place through adjustment of status.

K-1 Visa Eligibility Requirements

Before starting down the K-1 path, you’ll need to determine if you’re even eligible for the visa. To petition your fiance for a K-1 visa, you must: - Be a U.S. citizen aged 18+ - Intend to marry within 90 days - Be legally free to marry - Met in person within 2 years of application date - Meet the fiance visa income requirements

After the K-1 Visa Issuance

After issuance, the K-1 fiancé visa is valid for 6 months. However, once an entry stamp is made, the alien must marry the original petitioner within a 90 day period. There is no way to extend the 90 day period. A K-1 fiancé visa is only valid for one entry. Usually, a wedding is planned by the time the alien enters, so there are no surprises with the time shortage. After marriage, the alien will need to file an adjustment of status. This process converts the alien from a non-immigrant to an immigrant, and grants permanent residency (green card). With the green card, the alien can stay in the U.S. legally, work, and exit and re-enter the U.S. without the need for further visas.

Government Fees

USCIS Filing Fee: $535 Embassy DS-160 Fee: $265 The above fees don’t include the adjustment of status cost, which comes after marriage for the green card.

By creating your free account, you will be able to oversee the application process and get in touch with an Immigration Specialist!


There are several steps to apply for a K-1 Visa.

  1. USCIS Filing – Petition is mailed to the USCIS.

  2. Notice of Action 1 (NOA1) – Petition is received by USCIS.

  3. Notice of Action 2 (NOA2) – Petition is approved or denied by USCIS.

  4. NVC Phase – USCIS forwards your case to the National Visa Center.

  5. NVC to Embassy – NVC forwards your case to the U.S. embassy in the nation of origin.

  6. Embassy Letter – Embassy contacts you with further instructions.

  7. Gather Embassy Documents – Follow instructions given by embassy.

  8. Medical Exam – Alien schedules and completes required medical exam.

  9. Embassy Interview – Alien is interviewed by consular officer at the U.S. Embassy.

  10. Visa Issued – The visa is placed into the passport and passport returned to alien.

  11. Travel to U.S. – Alien has 6 months to enter the U.S.

  12. Wedding – Alien has 90 days after entry to marry.

$549.00 + Gov. Fees
The Premium Assistance Benefits:

 100% Refund Guarantee in Case of a Denied Visa*


The following Benefits:

Free account to access to your case 24/7 worldwide.

Dedicated immigration specialist.

Secure cloud document management for transferring files.

Simplified communication through your portal.

Support and Assistance by Phone and E-mail 24/7.

Supplying the necessary information needed to make your case as airtight as possible, giving it the best chance of success.

Ability to track USCIS decision or notification instantly via your profile.